The world’s leading home furnishing retailer IKEA today announced that this week work will officially commence on the 29,000 square metre store in North Lakes.
IKEA Australia Country Manager David Hood said that he was delighted that work will start on the second IKEA store for Queensland – scheduled to open in the second half of 2016.
“It is an exciting time for IKEA and for our Queensland customers. The new store means that the people of Brisbane and surrounding areas will have access to well designed home furnishings at affordable prices – particularly for those living in the Moreton Bay region and Sunshine Coast. It’s a huge opportunity for the IKEA business and for those seeking out inspiring solutions for their homes.”
The store will be next to the existing Westfield development at North Lakes and at 29,000 square metres will offer the full IKEA shopping experience – including the IKEA Showroom, Markethall, Self Serve Warehouse, Swedish Food Market, Bistro and Restaurant.
The new store will offer:
- Over 8,000 products from the IKEA range
- 12,000 square metres of combined furniture showroom and markethall space
- A 450+ seat IKEA Restaurant
- 1,000 car parking spaces
- An internal children’s play facility
- Jobs for 250 co-workers across all areas of the store
- Solar panel energy system with 1,500 solar panels, estimated to generate a quarter of the energy consumed by the store
- Energy efficient store lighting system powered by approximately 10,000 LED lights
Scheduled to open in the second half of 2016, the multi million-dollar development will be constructed by up to 150 contractors and create around 250 new jobs for the local area and surrounding communities.
Are you looking forward to IKEA opening at North Lakes? Will you shop there?